The number of people who have filed for unemployment benefits over the past two months has reached 40 million.
The Labor Department reports another 2.4 million people filed claims last week. It’s the 9th straight week that new unemployment claims are counted in the millions, but the number is in a downward trend. (NBC News)
- 2.4 million is a lot, but far down from the more than 6 million who filed in March.
- These are only new filings. 25 million others keep filing for continuing benefits.
- The recovery is going to take a very long time.
- Hopefully as the country continues to reopen, people will start returning to work.
- We’re going to turn things around. It may take a while, but we’ll get there.