President Trump has just finished addressing the American people following this weekend’s deadly shootings in El Paso and Dayton.
Trump sent sincere condolences to victims and their loved ones, and condemned white supremacists. He also vowed action. Among his directives and proposals:
- Further restricting the access of mentally ill people to firearms.
- Flagging potential shooters, including involuntary confinement of mentally ill people.
- Working with entertainment companies to curb violent content in movies, TV and especially video games.
- Having law enforcement work with Internet companies such as Facebook to help identify potential shooters.
- Subjecting mass shooters to the death penalty.
He did not suggest any specific gun control, aside from the restrictions on mental illness.