Veteran comedy actor John Witherspoon has passed away at age of 77.
The Detroit native was best known for his roles in the Friday series, The Boondocks and The Wayans Brothers. He also appeared in House Party, I’m Gonna Get You Sucka, and The Richard Pryor Show.
Witherspoon’s family gave a statement to Deadline, saying; “It is with deepest sorrow that we can confirm our beloved husband and father, John Witherspoon, one of the hardest working men in show business, died today at his home in Sherman Oaks at the age of 77… He is survived by his wife Angela, and his sons JD, Alexander, and a large family. We are all in shock, please give us a minute for a moment in privacy and we will celebrate his life and his work together. John used to say ‘I’m no big deal’, but he was huge deal to us.”
DJ Pooh, who co-wrote the first two Friday movies, broke the news when he tweeted around midnight ET “RIP John Witherspoon.” About an hour later, Regina King, who co-starred with Witherspoon on The Boondocks, tweeted her condolences. “My dad, my grandpa, my comedic inspiration! I love you Spoons! Rest In Paradise, King.”
- There have been hoaxes that Witherspoon has died in the past, so many will be reluctant to believe this. Plus, some other famous folks who share the name have died in recent years.
- DJ Pooh was seemingly close enough to the guy to know. It wouldn’t make sense for Pooh to put out false information.
- Damn and they just picked The Boondocks up for a couple more seasons for the new HBO Max
- Rest in power, Pops.
- He was a legend who gave us so many laughs over the years. What was your favorite John Witherspoon role?
- This is why we need to give our icons their flowers while they’re here.