UPDATE (8:00 a.m. ET): Officials say the U.S. had advanced warning of the attack on the base in Iraq and were prepared for it. President Trump is expected to address the nation this morning. (USA Today)
UPDATE (7:00 a.m. ET): Iran’s Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei claimed the strike killed “at least 80 terrorist U.S soldiers.” The U.S. has reported no casualties. Iran also said the attack concludes its revenge operation for the killing of general Qasem Soleimani. (Fox News)
Iran has claimed credit for a rocket attack early Wednesday on a U.S. a base in Iraq, in retaliation for the drone-assassination of one of its top generals.
Iran issued a statement saying the “fierce revenge by the Revolutionary Guards has begun.”
A U.S. official said six rockets hit Al Asad air base in Anbar, Province, in western Iraq.
Iraq’s Joint Military Command claimed that seven rockets hit the base and the attack started at 1:20 a.m., the same time General Soleimani was taken out by a U.S. drone strike Friday at the Baghdad airport.
Subsequent reports said “more than a dozen ballistic missiles” were fired into bases in Al-Assad and Irbil. Later reports put the tally at 15 missiles. There was no immediate word on injuries or casualties.
In a statement, the White House said it was “aware” of the air strike on the U.S. bases, adding, “The president has been briefed and is monitoring the situation closely and consulting with his national security team.” (The New York Times)
All is well! Missiles launched from Iran at two military bases located in Iraq. Assessment of casualties & damages taking place now. So far, so good! We have the most powerful and well equipped military anywhere in the world, by far! I will be making a statement tomorrow morning.
- Scary stuff. We could be headed into another war in the Mideast.
- Those critical of President Trump‘s decision to take out Soleimani warned about possible retaliation.
- Trump has already promised that the U.S. will respond if Iran retaliates.