LeBron James wants NBA fans in the seats despite the coronavirus. He threatened on Friday to boycott if the NBA institutes a similar policy as Europeans, who banned crowds from attending games.
LeBron shared his thoughts on Friday, (quote) “We play games without the fans? Nah, that’s impossible. I ain’t playing if I ain’t got the fans in the crowd. That’s who I play for.” (ESPN SportsCenter)
The league’s front office warned players and coaches to prepare for playing in empty arenas. The NBA could close games to ticket-holders as a measure to thwart the virus outbreak. Attendance would be restricted to “only essential staff.” No media, no sideline cheer squads and no roaring crowd.
College basketball won’t be impacted going into the March Madness tournament. The NCAA advised schools not to cancel games or restrict attendance at sporting events. (The Blast)
- TV will never allow empty arenas and no broadcasters. There’s too much revenue and money always talks.
- Play the games without the referees, too.
- Most sports announcers are annoying. I always watch games on mute.
- Could be fun to watch these empty-arena games and hear squeaking sneakers and every taunt by the players.
- Half the NBA teams are silently praying that the ban goes into place, LeBron honors his threat and the Los Lakers falter in the playoffs.
- If I’m infected with the coronavirus, I want to get Lyme disease to go with it.