Kanye West surprised the world over the weekend when he announced plans to run for president — this year!
On Saturday night, Yeezy tweeted, “We must now realize the promise of America by trusting God, unifying our vision and building our future. I am running for president of the United States. #2020Vision.”
He’s spoken of political ambitions before. He first floated the idea at the 2015 VMAs and last year ‘Ye called his shot for 2024, but promised he wouldn’t run for the country’s highest office until Trump was done.
The unexpected Fourth of July announcement earned the co-signs of his famous friends, including Elon Musk, who tweeted, “You have my full support!”
While there’s no doubt Kanye would have interest from voters across party lines, there is one major catch that will likely keep him from the 2020 ballot — he’s already missed the filing deadline in most states.
- He is known for Late Registration.
- So you’re telling me it’s a coincidence the guy makes a big announcement like this days after announcing his new album? This has publicity stunt written all over it.
- Laugh if you want, but Kim Kardashian could be a killer first lady.
- I wonder how his pal Don feels about this.
- When are we going to realize that telling Kanye no just makes him go 10 times as hard to prove himself?
- Kris Jenner could make a pretty good campaign manager.